Who owns BookMyShow portal?

BookMyShow is a very nice portal, isn’t it? Do you have an idea of who owns it? It is owned by Reliance Industries Limited (RIL). This article is about Reliance Industries Limited (RIL) and the multiple brands owned by them.

 

Background of Reliance Industries Limited (RIL)

The history of RIL goes back to 1960. Initially, a firm, Reliance Commercial Corporation was started in 1960 with the objective of dealing in polyester business by Sri. Dhirubhai Ambani and his cousin. This partnership ended in 1965 and in 1966, Reliance Textile Industries Pvt Ltd was incorporated in Mumbai by Sri Dhirubhai Ambani.

In 10 years of its business, the company expanded rapidly and made a household name through their popular brand ‘Vimal’. In 1977 the company went for a Public Issue and was listed on the Bombay Stock Exchange.

In 1985, the name of the company was changed from Reliance Textile Industries Limited to Reliance Industries Limited.

In 1995, the company entered into telecom business by setting up Reliance Telecom Private Limited.

In the late 1990s, the company commissioned its integrated petrochemical complex at Jamnagar, Gujarat. In 2001, Reliance Petroleum Limited was merged with Reliance Industries Limited.

In 2006, the company entered the organized retail market with the launch of Reliance Fresh.

The company had 123 subsidiary companies and ten associate companies. To name a few, Reliance Retail, Reliance life sciences, Reliance Logistics, Reliance Solar, Reliance Jio Infocomm Limited.

During the year, Independent Media Trust (IMT), of which RIL is the sole beneficiary, acquired the control of Network18 Media & Investments Limited (Network18), including its subsidiary TV18 Broadcast Limited (TV18). Network18 has interests in television, digital content, filmed entertainment, digital commerce, magazines, mobile content and allied businesses. Network18, through its group companies, operates a combined bouquet of over 30 channels.

Currently, Mr.Mukesh D Ambani is the Chairman and Managing Director the company.

 

The financials of RIL

The company’s petrochemicals, refining, and oil and gas-related operations form the core of its business; other divisions of the company include cloth, retail business, telecommunications and special economic zone (SEZ) development. In 2012–13, it earned 76% of its revenue from Refining, 19% from Petrochemicals, 2% from Oil & Gas and 3% from other segments.

  • Total turnover of the company (FY 2014-15) Rs.388494 Crores (over two times of Government of Karnataka (GOK)’s annual budget!)
  • Profit for the year (before tax) Rs.29468 Crores
  • Income Tax for the year Rs.6124 Crores
  • During the year, the Company has spent ₹ 761 crores (around 2.85% of the average net profits of last three financial years) on CSR activities

 

The shareholding pattern of RIL

The promoter group, Ambani family, holds 45.24% of the total shares whereas the remaining 54.76% shares are held by public shareholders, including FII and corporate bodies. Life Insurance Corporation of India is the largest non-promoter investor in the company with 7.98% shareholding.

 

The products and brands owned by them

Apart from Reliance Petroleum products, the following brands belong to RIL (this is a partial list)

 

In Media and Entertainment –

  • CNBCTV18, CNBC AWAAZ, CNBC Bajar, CNN IBN
  • IBN7, News18 India, IBN Lokmat
  • ETV Channels
  • Colors
  • Rishtey
  • MTV India
  • Vh1
  • Comedy Central
  • Nickelodeon
  • Sonic
  • History 18

 

In Digital Content space-

  • moneycontrol.com
  • Firstpost
  • Burrp
  • HomeShop18
  • BookmyShow

 

Publishing Business

  • Forbes India
  • Overdrive
  • Better interiors
  • Topper learning

 

Retail

  • Roxy, DC, GAS, Umbro, Ed Hardy, Diesel, Dune, Pink, Hamleys, digital express, Reliance Fresh, footwear, jewels, iStore

 

Textiles

  • Vimal, V2

 

Achievements –

  • the second-largest publicly traded company in India by market capitalization
  • the second largest company in India as measured by revenue after the government-controlled Indian Oil Corporation
  • The company is ranked 114th on the Fortune Global 500 list of the world’s biggest corporations
  • RIL contributes approximately 20% of India’s total exports

 

Thought for the day

Do more of what makes you happy.

0 0 vote
Article Rating
Share This :

About B E Kumar Prasad

B E Kumar Prasad
He is a Practicing Chartered Accountant at Bangalore, India. He has 26 years of experience in the areas of NRI matters, Income Tax, Setting up Business. He is also an Insolvency Professional and Registered Valuer (F&SA)He can be contacted at [email protected]

Check Also

Can I make money from F&O Trading

How can I make money from Future and Options Trading? Can I earn second source …

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x