With the aim of clearing the financial and administrative mess in the Railways, Union Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu is all set to present his maiden Railway Budget 2015-16 on February 26.
Prabhu has time and again stressed that Railways’ financial health is not good and there is an urgent need of increased investments in the areas of modernisation, safety and security of passengers.
Considered a reformer, Prabhu may lay the road map for attracting private investment for the public transporter, which badly needs funds for completion of many crucial rail projects.
With Railway finances under terrible strain, all eyes will be focused on whether Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu will hike the fares and freight rates in the Rail Budget which may contain proposals for ‘Make in India’ initiatives besides enhancing safety and security.
Following are the life and times of Union Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu:
- Prior to being sworn in as Cabinet Minister in the first expansion of the Narendra Modi government on November 09, 2015, Prabhu was a Shiv Sena leader.
- Prabhu was Power Minister in the Atal Bihari Vajpayee-led previous NDA government.
- During Vajpayee’s tenure from 1998 to 2004, Prabhu was Industry Minister, Minister of Environment and Forests, Minister of Fertilizers & Chemicals, Power, Heavy Industry and Public Enterprises.
- Prabhu has represented the Rajapur Lok Sabha constituency in Konkan four times, from 1996 to 2009.
- He lost his seat in the 2009 general election. This is the same constituency which late Janata Party leader Madhu Dandavate had represented.
- Prabhu’s decision to call off his visit to Wharton School as a mark of protest against the cancellation of Modi’s keynote address at the Wharton India Economic Forum 2013 won him accolades from BJP.
- Prabhu is credited with championing and enacting the Electricity Act of 2003.
- He runs an NGO – Manav Sadhan Vikas Sanstha.
- He is married to journalist Uma Prabhu and they have a son Ameya Prabhu.
- Suresh Prabhu completed his high school from Sharadashram Vidya Mandir, Mumbai
- He has a Bachelor’s degree in Commerce with Honours from ML Dahanukar College, Mumbai. He also recieved a Bachelor in Law degree from the New Law College, Mumbai.
- Prabhu is a Chartered Accountant and a member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India.
Source : http://zeenews.india.com/